Sunday, March 3, 2013

A Salad for All Seasons


When you step away from your phone and come back to ten group text messages on the topic of making quinoa...you know you are in good company.  I am very proud of my friend, Saaam, who is making a conscious effort to revolutionize her diet and eat for good health.  To encourage her new "foodstyle", we are keeping a food diary via text message to inspire each other - and, let's get real - keep each other in check.  Accountability works wonders for motivation.  My sis and I did this food diary thing awhile ago and it was really useful.  Share what you're eating, inspire your friends to try something new and celebrate small successes - I'm sure there's an app for that :)


Making a batch of quinoa on Sunday really comes in handy.  I usually convert it to a quinoa salad later on, which can take many forms, but it can be added to soups and traditional salads too for a punch of protein.





Here's one recipe for Greek-style quinoa salad that's easy to enjoy all year round:



Ingredients
1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup vegetable broth
1-2 tbsp olive oil
red wine vinegar
juice of freshly squeezed lemon
1/2 cucumber, seeds removed and finely cubed
carrots, peeled and made into ribbons by using peeler
feta cheese
basil/parsley/cilantro, finely chopped
pitted kalamata olives
walnuts, chopped
few sun-dried tomatoes
salt + pepper

KEY Ingredients: green onions, crushed red pepper, golden raisins or halved red grapes


Method

Thoroughly rinse quinoa in fine mesh strainer, combine in pot with vegetable broth and bring to a boil.  Cover and reduce to simmer for 10-15 minutes until liquid is just absorbed.  Set aside and cool down.  Combine rest of ingredients (play with the measurements depending on your preferences) in mixing bowl, add quinoa and chill in fridge for at least 1-2 hours.

Over the years, I've come across articles about how friends/family (or the people you are around) influence the way you eat.  I think it's true and that humans have a natural tendency toward a herd mentality.  So here's to another definition of "socially responsible eating" that means having a healthy influence on the people near and dear to us!



Go Team Go!

3 comments:

  1. Aww, what a sweet dedication post!! The quinoa recipe looks delicious. I can't wait to try it! Re: the food diary - Where are everyone's morning daily entries, hey?

    Now that I'm not only reducing calories but substituting empty ones with nutrient packed calories, I can't wait to try all of the recipes on here.

    On another note, I could immediately spot my hand in the photo because it was the only one that was not finely manicured. Perhaps that will be my NEXT self-improvement project!

    Thanks for this great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saam, you are funny! I love this post. Cute pic of you guys. Now, your next mission, if you are willing to accept, is to find a quinoa recipe your nieces are willing to eat. I am stuck at texture problems! Although {dad's favorite word}, Nia will eat it because right now, she would be willing to eat a cardboard box as long as it is not mushy and comes out of a baby food jar!

    ReplyDelete