Saturday, April 20, 2013


That Michael Pollan...he's always on to something.  While I'm name dropping, I think I'll include a few excerpts from an article that Mark Bittman recently wrote on Pollan's new book, Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation:
"We do find time for activities we value, like surfing the Internet or exercising. The problem is we're not valuing cooking enough."

Affirmative.  The other night, I was slaving over my cutting board and stove for what seemed like hours and I immediately thought to myself, "Why am I spending my time like this?"  And then, BAM!  It hit me like a flying avocado.  My inner voice retaliated, "OH REALLY!? {in thick Indian accent} What else is so much more important to be doing?"  Riiight....for the amount of time I spend dilly dallying around the house (which I must value a heck of a lot considering how much of my "spare time" it consumes), I can totally make time to cook.  I got my priorities back in check.
"People who cook eat a healthier diet without giving it a thought. It's the collapse of home cooking that led directly the obesity epidemic."
In other words, the creation of Shake Shack :)  On a train ride home from DC recently, I was overwhelmed by a craving for a thick, juicy burger and a vanilla milkshake.  I started texting hubby to prepare him for a gluttonous evening of "sometimes food"at the aforementioned restaurant, but hit backspace and instead suggested a trip to Whole Foods.  Hubby does make the best burgers in town and I wanted to try my hand at a homemade vanilla shake in the Vitamix.  Boy, did I get a shocker.


One entire cup of vanilla ice cream + milk yielded this much.  I would have consumed way more at Shake Shack, innocently drinking from their "small" cup.  Not knocking them since one does go there for the whole experience, but very grateful to have made this discovery.  Of course I wanted more when I finished my glass, but considering that I normally serve myself less than half a cup of ice cream in one sitting, I decided the buck needed to stop there.


"We need public health ad campaigns promoting home cooking as the single best thing you can do for your family's health and well-being."
Homecooked burger + baked sweet potato fries + milkshake
Pollan captures it best.  When you cook at home, you tend to use higher quality ingredients, reduce additives and are keenly aware of portion sizes.  Time and energy are always impediments, yes.  But while I might take an hour or two to cook, most real adults can manage in a half hour.

And that half hour goes a long way for health.

Now if only J Timba would make a song about bringing home cooking back...the masses would definitely start valuing that.

Who do you want cooking your food, a corporation or a human being?

No comments:

Post a Comment