Tuesday, October 23, 2012

An Ogre Comes to Visit

I didn't necessarily intend on plating our dinner in the form of an ogre.  I think this is the direct result of being an aunt to three nieces ages 5 and under:


My husband seemed confused but delighted at our meal turned art project!  Here's the down low.   Details on how to make the individual parts to follow in other posts (too tired right now and have miles to go before I sleep) -
  • 1 plum sliced and drizzled with honey
  • chickpea + quinoa salad on a bed of arugula
  • roasted brussel sprouts
  • yogurt with dill, salt, pepper, and freshly squeezed lemon juice served on the side
On a mushy sidenote: in my mother tongue there is no word for nieces or nephews.  They're considered as your own daughters and sons.  Isn't that just so sweet?  And it's so fitting because that's exactly how I think of my little ones.  The natural born worrier that I am, I'm constantly fretting about them and when I see them, I'm consumed by how to make them feel happy.  I'm strict with them too, but I think this is what helps make them the polite little princesses that they are.  Oh yeah, and I guess their parents have some influence too :-D  My sister really is such a wonderful mother to them.  Patient, incredibly loving, teaches them to do the right thing and be confident (just to name a few).  I hope as their second mom, I am also doing a good job teaching them how to be their best selves.

No comments:

Post a Comment