Friday, January 11, 2013

Seeing the World, One Food Market at a Time

If you ever doubt that romance is alive, just read and re-read this kind, thoughtful, creative & innocent request posted on goodfoodjobs.com.  This man is keenly aware that he eats to live while his girlfriend lives to eat, acknowledges their differences and then figures out how he can still make her happy.  Just so sweet.

It inspired me to share some pictures from the fantastic food markets I've visited: Borough Market in London with hubz and Meera (easily our favorite venue on the whole trip); Old Port Farmers Market in Quebec City where hubby and I celebrated our 2 year anno; and, Jean-Talon Market in Montreal.  It was also a gentle reminder of how lucky I am for the many kindred spirits in my life.  And in case you are wondering - in the spirit of paying it forward - of course I am applying for the position of "foodie friend" - in fact I'm using this blog post as my submission!

Borough Market, London
THE place to be to meld right in to the local lifestyle.  So many fresh goods, so much great cheese, diversity, just a perfect place to cobble together a hearty and fulfilling lunch or snack.



Old Port Farmers Market, Quebec City
A quaint market comfortably nestled right next to the water, all products sourced from Quebec.  A tribute to the locavore lover.







Jean-Talon Market, Montreal
We could hang out here all day.  Hop on your BIXI bike and park it right outside while you enjoy a full meal, light eats from around the globe (we ate bhaji) or the freshest fruit you've seen in a long time.  Take some home, just don't forget to consume before crossing the border :)




Aaah, there's just something about the comforting chaos of food markets - the constant din of excited voices, the curious lovers of food buzzing about, the clean, simple, pure offerings - that remind me of a cloudless day with azure skies and sunlight streaming through the branches....


***

Circling back to the call that inspired this post - finding a foodie companion - I want to share one last picture to give props to another creative and thoughtful spirit.  I wonder if I gush about my hubby too much on this blog, but then I think, he certainly deserves it.  And I'm not exactly a big hugger; writing is my language of love.


Oops, maybe I'll crop my toes decorated with chipped nail polish out of the pic next time ;-)  It's ok...as hubby would most certainly tell me, "it gives it character."



6 comments:

  1. wow, i am impressed! You are right about the posting, such out of the box thinking for such a humble request :) I think you would be the perfect person for it!

    also such beautiful pictures of food from around the world! can't wait to explore more together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jummy, jummy in my tummy {Ani would say}. Pics look so good--makes me want to eat them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks, I will relay the message to the photographer (who, incidentally, hasn't signed up for my mailing list, hmph)!

      Delete
  3. Those pics are so vibrant! Im getting hungry staring at them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'm totally motivated to sign up for a CSA share again this summer!

      Delete