Monday, January 7, 2013

The Incredible Husk

Sign #1
(you know how much I LOVE plays on words)
Best. Commercial. Ever.

I was quite unsure of whether to go down this path on my blog but then I got a few signs which all echoed a resounding YES! DO IT!  I mean, what the heck, this blog is mostly about food and friendship, and digestion is an important, relevant topic to both.


Recently hubz found out he has high cholesterol...wait, WHAT!?  We eat so healthily and exercise {fairly} regularly and are young - how could this be?  Oh yeah, it's those Indian genes...the same ones that give us our youthful looks also make us genetically predisposed to diabetes and heart disease.  So we promptly discussed with Dr. Bro what kind of changes he could make to improve the current situation.  Among the suggestions was taking Metamucil, which got vetoed for not jiving with our food philosophy (contains "coloring, flavoring, binding or preservation agents").  So then came...wait for it, wait for it...pure psyllium husk!  Just look at this label "Other Ingredients: None" What a beauty!
So it's supposed to help lower cholesterol AND the high fiber content helps out in other ways, if you catch my drift.  He started taking it and I quickly got curious.  I thought of taking half the suggested serving size since I have half the reason and am smaller than the average person, to which hubz politely responded "But you eat as much as everyone else..."  Oh, right, my big burly man appetite :)

As for the rest of the signs: I was half listening to The Doctors this morning...actually, while getting ready to go to the doctor's (Ha!).  Jamie Lee Curtis was on and telling the audience how the single biggest impact she's had in her life has been in digestive health.  Well I'm not particularly inspired to try Activia, but I liked that she highlighted how the American diet is full of refined grains and sugars without any fiber.  Even though hubz and I (and most of the people we know) have a pretty healthy diet that doesn't include excessive amounts of the above, our lifestyles dictate a dearth of fiber.  The goal for us is to get the fiber through lots & lots of veggies, but we acknowledge that we're not quite there yet.  So just for the time being, I'm throwing this in my smoothies every now & then and drinking lots of water to ensure smooth sailing.


This Amazon review says it all and had us laughing for a long time.  I'm glad to see more people being open to talking about "matters close to our heart."


Do you have any fiber-rich foods that you love to eat?

5 comments:

  1. That Amazon review is one of the funniest I have ever read! Let me know how it goes---ok maybe not as detailed as the review, but you got my attention! Do you know how much fiber is recommended daily?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I'll have to look into it. I figure measuring fiber intake might be difficult, so I use an "outcome-based approach" to assess my success ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. one of my favorite articles yet :) you know the saying you are what you eat...its not as true as you are what sh-eat!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahah I am laughing out loud..."good one!!" Best new quote for 2013 :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Juno I've never had any problems in this area but if two feet is the gold standard, maybe I'll try to incorporate this into my diet!!

    ReplyDelete