Friday, December 28, 2012

Giving Tuesdays

First there was Black Friday, then along came Cyber Monday, and this year I learned about a new concept - Giving Tuesday - my favorite one yet.  While these terms apply to the days following Thanksgiving, I chalk up the fact that Christmas fell on a Tuesday this year to more than coincidence.  (Also, for the past several years, I have been volunteering on Tuesday evenings...the stars are aligning, I tell ya!)

In an era of frightening consumerism, I really appreciated something I overheard my sister-in-law telling her son, "Christmas is not just a day when we get gifts; it's a day when we give love."  Without having little ones of my own yet, I can be all idealistic and say that I want kids to focus on what they can give rather than what they can get.  I don't know how that plays out in the real world where the influence of peers and TV reign supreme, but I like the notion of teaching this early on:
"The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." - Gandhi
This can be interpreted in so many ways and take so many forms.  As a younger child with "me me me" tendencies, my sister made it a point to remind me over the years to always think outside of myself and find happiness in making others happy.  My parents consistently taught me the value of kindness and compassion.  I can't say that selflessness comes completely naturally to me, but I can say that I have strived to make it a way of life.  Small acts of kindness are always at the forefront of my mind.

This Christmas, my nephew and I teamed up to give our love and support to the kids at Sandy Hook affected by the tragic school shooting.  Here's the scoop if you are interested in making snowflakes for their winter wonderland!


(Posted by Fawn Hollow PTO, Monroe, CT)

We have reached out to our PTA counterparts in Newtown to offer whatever help we can give. They have asked us to spread the word about a snowflake drive they are having through the CT PTSA. The snowflakes eventually will be used to decorate Chalk Hill. While we work on coordinating a collection effort for Fawn Hollow, we wanted to share the information on their behalf if anyone would like to pass it along to out of town friends. The information they have sent us is below. Thank you for all the amazing offers to help our Newtown neighbors and friends!

Snowflakes for Sandy Hook
Please help the students of Sandy Hook have a winter wonderland at their new school! Get Creative!! No two snowflakes are alike. Make and send snowflakes to Connecticut PTSA, 60 Connolly Parkway, Building 12, Suite 103, Hamden, CT 06514, by January 12, 2013.

2 comments:

  1. That's so wonderful. He is a phenom of a snow-flake maker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only is he a phenom of a snow-flake maker, he is also quite the romeo. Later that day, he made me a "cookie" and promptly asked, "Are you going to tell your nieces I made you a cookie?" AND THEN, a few days later, I was told that during his nightly prayer, he said "Thank you, God, for Neema Pinni's nieces!" Looks like that FaceTime chat sent some sparks flying, hehehe ;-) What a cutie - this should be added to the "Kids say...the darndest things" post!

    ReplyDelete